UPDATE: Please notice that the official dates are changed from July 29 to Aug. 4, Sunday.
The July 29 to Aug. 3 program with the cultural festival in the Jeju City on Aug. 3 is same. But people will gather in Gangjeong on Aug. 4 to create a human chain between the east and west tips of the naval base construction area (1,500 km) from noon to 12 pm. Click here for more details on Human Chain on the day. Dir. Cho Sung-Bong, a movie director, currently works on the acclaimed documentary on Gangjeong titled, “The Gureombi Wind Blows,” will take air camera shots on human chain scene using unmanned helicopter and will put all the names of participants in the movie’s ending credit. Even though you may not be able to physically join the march and human chain. please send us international solidarity messages(up to 100 words)/photos/videos through firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than July 20. All the messages will be publicly shared. Please see the bottom for the details of optional programs after the human chain on Aug. 4.
* Internationals who can physically join the march and want to contribute the march with one’s talent/work, please see the below translation.
* Internationals who want to support the march by sending solidarity messages of up to 100 words and/or photos and/or videos, please send those to Gangjeongintl@gmail.com no later than July 20 (Please see the 2012 event here, and solidarity messages, here)
* For all questions and suggestions on the matters including those not explained in the below, please contact email@example.com
* Thank you to be with us!
# A translation of most part of an original Korean script
Proposal for co-sponsoring and participation
in the 2013 Gangjeong Grand March for Life and Peace
By the Coordinating Committee for 2013 Gangjeong Grand March for Life and Peace
June 7, 2013
Summary (translated) of introduction letter
The Opposition struggle against the Jeju naval base project hits its 7th year. [..]
Since the Presidential election last time, the response measure by the prosecutors and police has been transformed into consistent drastic policies. The navy is openly enforcing construction(destruction) despite people’s criticism on illegal construction(destruction). Some make propaganda that the struggle to stop the naval base project is in fact finished as the Park Geun-Hye Government that has asserted on the justification of the Jeju naval base project was launched. [..]
Everyday is a continuation of hard struggle in Gangjeong nowadays. The police make routine of arrest and the prosecutors who are in line with them are oppressing the opposition struggle with unreasonable issuing of arrest warrants and bombs of fines. [..]
However, we cannot give up. It is because we trust that the peace of Gangjeong is the peace of Korea and our struggle to stop the Jeju naval base project is to be the voice for the peace of the northeast Asia and world. It is also because we know that the way we are walking now would be a step to stop the ‘gochak’ (meaning ‘detaining by encircling’) of destructive military domination and resuscitation of anti-human state violence. [..]
Now, we, succeeding the year of 2012, want to propose to gather people’s voice for peace once again.
We are to gather the voice to inform the injustice of the Jeju naval base project and to appeal for peace to be saved, while we walk around of the spots of Jeju for five nights six days during the hot summer.
Please join the 2013 Gangjeong Grand March for Life and Peace in which we feel pain together, walk together, and talk on our peace together!
Please be a part of one strong voice for peace, again!
Details of proposal
Please become a co-sponsoring groups for the 2013 Gangjeong Grand March for Life and Peace
□ The role of co-sponsoring group
▶ Registartion of more than 100,000 KRW (about 90~100 USD), which is for co-sponsoring of the event
▶ Each representative of co-sponsoring group is chosen as a member of the Peace Representative Board. One has to join march for more than a day
▶ Encourages its members to join the march and organizes support material and fund.
▶ It is planned that each co-sponsoring group is individually named in poster, web poster and media.
▶ The groups that have been confirmed of co-sponsoring and that are in discussion as of June, 2013:
The Gangjeong Village Association,
Jeju Pan-Island Committee for the Stop of Military Base and for Realization of Peace Island (31 groups)
National Network of Korean Civil Society for Opposing to the Naval Base in Jeju Island (11 groups)
Open Network (Inc.)
Professors’ Association for the stop and re-examination of Jeju naval base construction
Korean Writers’ Association
Go Gwon-Il, chairman of the Gangjoeng Villagers’ Committee to Stop the Naval Base Project
Boo Jang-Won, Director of coordination, Jeju Pan-Island Committee for the Stop of Military Base and for Realization of Peace Island
Kim Duk-Jin, National Network of Korean Civil Society for Opposing to the Naval Base in Jeju Island
# For internationals, please contact Gangjeong village international team: firstname.lastname@example.org
□ Plan on Gangjeong Grand March for Life and Peace
– It is to disclose the betraying behaviors of the navy and government that enforce construction (destruction) under the false cause of ‘national security’ and Woo Keun-Min Island government that connives those and in line with them. And it is to gather the public fury on it (* The election on the Island governor is in 2014. Currently the public support on the Island governor Woo Keun-Min is low)
-It is to form a public discussion on the possibilities of militarization of Jeju by the Jeju naval base project and of occurrence of military conflict in the northeast Asia. It is to expand to the public the need of continuation of the struggle to stop the naval base project.
-It is to share the mutual relationship among state, human rights, democracy, we remembering that state violence during the 4·3 uprising is recurred during the current enforcement process of the naval base project .
(2). Title of the event
2013 Gangjeong Grand March for Life and Peace, “Let’s meet [also can be translated gather] together! Let’s walk together! Peace for Gangjeong!”
(3). Sponsor and Host
-Sponsor: The Gangjeong Village Association, Jeju Pan-Island Committee for the Stop of Military Base and for Realization of Peace Island (31 groups), National Network of Korean Civil Society for Opposing to the Naval Base in Jeju Island (11 groups) etc.
( It is expected that the titles of groups will be added in the future)
-Host: The Gangjeong Village Association, Jeju Pan-Island Committee for the Stop of Military Base and for Realization of Peace Island (31 groups), National Network of Korean Civil Society for Opposing to the Naval Base in Jeju Island (11 groups)
Eve festival: 7 pm, July 28 (Sunday), 2013, Village Ceremony hall, Gangjeong Village
Grand March: July 29 (Mon) to Aug. 3 (Sat), 2013: For five nights six days
Nationwide citizens’ cultural festival to demand the revocation on the Jeju naval base project: Aug. 3 (Sat), 6pm, Tapdong square, Jeju City(tentative)
Human chain between the east and west tips of the naval base project area in Gangjeong: Aug. 4 (Sun), 12 to 2 pm, Gangjeong
(5). Participation purpose
The total number of man-days participation is expected 2,000 to 3,000 (except for the participants in the cultural festivals)
( 6). Ways of March
-People will be divided by east and west teams. The pilgrim will be focused on the inner roads of towns.
-There will be explanation on main histories, ecology, and environment of each region
– Some figures concerned with Gangjeong will be asked to join the march as the members of the Peace Representative Board.
( 7). Slogan
-Main slogan: “Let’s meet [also can be translated as gather] together! Let’s walk together! Let’s shout together! Peace for Gangjeong!”
-March slogan: Will be collected by group proposal or public solicitation, TBA
II. Guide on participation
(1). Application-phone, fax, email, internet registration
Internationals may contact the Gangjeong Village International team for application: email@example.com
# All applications will be collected into the briefing room of the Gangjoeng Village Association
(2). Participation fee
1) Per one person
– 1 day participation: 10,000 won (T-shirt not included)
– 1 night 2 days~ 2 night 3 days: 30,000 won (including T-shirts)
– 3 night 4 days~6 night 7 days: 50,000 won (including T-shirts)
# No Fee. Children elementary school-aged and under (T-Shirt not included)
# All meals, one bottle of water per day, wristle (to protect from hot sunlight)
2) Bank account for participation fee and support fund
: Nonghyup 351-0603-6444-93 (Beneficiary: Gangjeong Village Association)
Internationals can pay in cash on the very day(s) of participation.
In principle, commmon tent
However, bringing individual tent is OK
An individual should prepare for one’s sleeping bags etc.
(4) March course
– It will be about 20 Km march a day.
– As possible as even road, considered of family participants
– On the last day (Aug. 3), march as possible as all spots of Jeju City
– Detailed course will be known later.
(5) Individual participant preparation
– Sleeping bag, washing stuff, hat, individual tent(choice) etc.
III. Organization of march team
(1) March team
Peace Representative Board (5 to 10 personnel for each day), march chiefs (full and daily), overall management on march, march director(practical business), support team, medical team, guide team, record team, administration team
(2) Briefing room
Director, registration team, meal team, meal-supply team, finance team, public relation team
IV. Main event program
(1). Eve festival
– Date: 7pm, July 28(Sun), Gangjeong Village Ceremony hall
– Basis: sharing the meaning of peace and gathering the will to stop the naval base project
– Main content: resolution speech, sharing meanings, introduction of participants, concert, peace ceremony.
(2). Press conference at the start
– Date and time: 8:30 am, July 29 (Mon), Gangjeong soccer field
– Content: Statement for citizens and demand on the revocation of the naval base project
– Introduction on some figures and speeches
– Main content: Speech by representative, statement, ceremony to gathering the sea water of Jeju, photo
(3).Cultural festival in the summer night
-Date: Aug 1 in Kimnyong (east team)and Aewol (west team)
– Content: Encouragement of local residents’ participation
(4). March program
– Public solicitation on photos, writings from the 2012 march participants, prize and recognition is given (Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for subscription)
– Peace postcard to oneself: read in the festival and mailing
– Collecting sea water in the main march regions: Water will be collcted in cermony in the festival.
(5). Cultural festival to revoke the Jeju naval base project
-Date/ Time: 6 pm, Aug. 3(Sat). Topdong Square, Jeju City (planned)
(6) Peace human chain: noon to 2 pm, Aug. 4 (Sun), Gangjeong village, in front of the Jeju naval base project committee building complex ( from Gangjeong stream in th east to the Gangjeong port in the west)
* Human chain is the end of official event of the whole march
(7) Optional program in Gangjeong on Aug. 4 (Sun)
7 pm: Korean traditional yard square in front of the Gangjeong Village Ceremony Hall
After 2 pm: Taste on the Peace of Gangjeong (free trip on the places of the village, Gangjeong stream water leisure)